It's been ages since I blogged, but I'm thinking I'm going to try again. I'm going to start slowly by posting just once a week as part of Works For Me Wednesday over at Rocks In My Dryer.
So here it is, my debut WFMW post: Pretty Presents. I've gotten several compliments on the stack of presents underneath my (tiny) Christmas tree this year (yeah, we just put up the little tree and have the whole display fenced off from seƱor destructo-boy, AKA C-Rex.) What, you ask, is my secret?
Drum roll please: Let's hear it for cheap-o brown kraft paper! Three bucks will get you a roll of forty feet that can get you through this year's mountain of packages and well into next year's too.
But brown paper is pretty boring, you say. Well, you have a point. Now it's time to make with the pretty, and I direct you to fancy fabric ribbon. It's sort of pricy, so right after Christmas, hit up your favorite craft store and raid the Christmas ribbon display. It ought to be between 75% and 90% off, so you can splurge and get ten or fifteen (or twenty) rolls. Put it away until next year, and you'll be ready to put together a beautiful pile of presents.
Don't despair if you don't have any fabric ribbon on hand, or if you run out of ribbon before you run out of boxes to wrap. I ran out this year, and I was able to pick up more at 50% off at JoAnne's in early December. Not quite the steal it will be after the holidays are over, but still not bad.
So that's it. Plain brown paper and pretty fabric ribbon. It Works For Me!
I'll have to try this next year. Thanks for the tip! :)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea. Where do you find the brown paper, though? I don't think I've ever seen it in the stores.
ReplyDeleteOffice supply stores - I get mine at Staples. You'll find it in the packing/mailing aisle.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea. Thanks!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that look! May revisit next year. The brown paper also holds up well for travel. I like the craft paper they sell at Michael's. It's a little thinner than at the office supply stores and you can use regular tape instead of packing tape, plus you can use your 40% off coupons to stock up.
ReplyDeleteOoh, good to know! I like the packing paper fine, but it *is* heavyweight paper, and you really do have to use packing tape when wrapping.
ReplyDelete(Of course, that makes the unwrapping all that much more entertaining).
I'll check Michaels next time.
Thanks!