Sunday, January 18, 2009

Book blogging

The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being by Nena Baker

My review

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm scared. I feel like I never want to buy anything ever again. While I'm at it, I'll try to stop eating and breathing and doing all the other mundane things I do every day that invite toxins into my body.

I don't mean to imply that Baker was inciting people to panic or that her writing was unduly alarmist. She was just absolutely thorough and detailed. She pulled no punches and airbrushed nothing. In the end, the picture was devastatingly clear.

Ok, so I can't completely remove myself from modern society. What *can* I do? Stop buying microwave popcorn, that's a start. And my non-stick cookware has been shoved aside in favor of some shiny new stainless steel. But it would be absolutely fabulous if the government could be convinced that petrochemical companies who create possible toxins should not be allowed to flood the environment with their chemicals without first proving that they are not harmful.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment