Coio has always been a very petite child. She was born little (5lbs 11oz), and due to some sensory defensiveness issues, she has never gained weight very well. At her birthday checkup this year she weighed in at just over 30 lbs.
We have gotten comments on how skinny/thin/tiny/etc. she is since she was about 18 months, and I've always tried to be positive. Yes she's petite, but that doesn't mean she's not a healthy child.
Well, all of the talk about how small she is, how little she weighs, etc. and the fact that she is a kindergartner in a K-1 classroom, has born some fruit: today, after asking me if there are any "skinny" girls in my class (I teach grades 3-4), she told me that she is skinny, and that I'm sort of fat.
Augh.
I responded calmly, saying that no I'm not fat. My body is just the right size for me, but inside I was freaking out. She's ONLY SIX! She's got years ahead of her to obsess about size and weight. Can't she be a little girl for a bit longer, please?
No comments:
Post a Comment